Re: 98332: INET'98 Abstract Review Notification

Toni Alatalo ([email protected])
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:59:29 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Laura Breeden wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply and encouraging comments!

> life as things go on. We very much want a different perspective than that
> of the "founders" of the Internet! You sound as if you have thoughtful and

That's definitely one fascinating aspect of isoc .. that Vint and the
others are still around, dancing on the same floor in KL
<URL:http://www.netppl.fi/~antont/inet97/inet/vintdance.jpg> yet being so
different from us.

They build the net so that it was there already for us to use.
They are engineers, we don't know what to be.

I'm off for weekend now, still another exam on Monday but then I'll
concentrate on this.

BTW: Do you know IRC? What about it? Probably not much good .. but
it's dominating my thoughts anyway. I think it's the Internet on the
Internet and a true people network where things happen and get done.
For example now that Netscape announced giving the source code away for
free the guys on irc/linuxnet agreed in 30 seconds to register
openscape.org and are discussing further development at the moment.

<|:#linux> One Microsoft executive called Netscape's
<|:#linux> move to make the Navigator source code
<|:#linux> widely available "odd." Sam Jadallah, vice
<|:#linux> president of Microsoft's Organization
<|:#linux> Customer Unit, said, "Consumers want to
<|:#linux> know what they are getting. They like one
<|:#linux> version. They want to know a McDonald's
<|:#linux> hamburger is a McDonald's hamburger
<|:#linux> wherever they go." Jadallah also noted that,
<|:#linux> "Whenever source code is out and gets
<|:#linux> distributed, things can get fragmented.
<|:#linux> That's what happened with Unix and
<|:#linux> Linux."
*** | is now known as Sopwith
<MwC:#linux> MS to buy BT??? Surely a rumour.
<ddm:#Linux> Idiot.
* Sopwith:#linux LOL
<Digi:#linux> Sopwith: HAHAHAHA
<mord:#linux> mwc: they'd be stupid to do that
<Digi:#linux> Give me his email address :)
<Thaddeus:#linux> that's just _sad_
<_Anarchy_:#linux> Sop: nod.. MS are playing the free == unsupported line
as corporate policy I think

Sure they are technical but also extremely social - most of the talk is
about people and the companies they work for. I guess that kind of rumours
are usually about satisfying social needs.

+ an + ~ Toni ~ : (t . !