Re: 98332: INET'98 Abstract Review Notification

Toni Alatalo ([email protected])
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:42:52 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Laura Breeden wrote:

> the track themes too well. I don't remember any other submissions from
> you, so maybe they did not come to our track.

Yes, they were on tracks 5 and 1/7 and are available:
http://www.netppl.fi/~antont/inet98/inet98-finland.abstract
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~antont/inet98/inet98-augnetcom.abstract

> We liked your paper because it seemed very interesting to us to have a
> youth perspective at the conference. In fact we are working on an expanded
> youth programme, to include reporting by youth and interactions with
> teenagers and young adults around the world.

Sounds good!

I was thinking quite the same. I mean, we usually work on the net together
with other young people (16-23 years or so) but then suddenly when I went
to KL to see what ISOC was about there was no one of my age. Not just it'd
bother me but simply that many professionals that really make things work
are young and have opinions also about politics etc. so it's important to
get them involved.

> Does this fit with what you have in mind? We were expecting to hear a talk
> full of interesting insights about growing up on the net... sort of...
> does that sound right?

If I only knew what you find interesting ;)

Well, some of us have spent about ten years now on-line, 8-12 hours a day.
I started about eight years ago when I was 12/13. Sounds terrifying, but
fortunately it seems that we have also learned something. Perhaps if we
only get to know how to cope with other world better we might even do
things in real.

This causes a difference in perspective I've been thinking a lot:
For us the net is not about surfing but a cozy place where we like to be.
Home. It is not at all exiting or fun but totally normal, just necessary.
The world outside is wild and exotic, perhaps scary, but full of
adventures! At least from what I know most people feel quite the opposite.
How about you?

+ an + ~ Toni ~ : (t . !