Re: Net addict

Toni Alatalo ([email protected])
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:34:06 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Pihlanto Pekka wrote:

> This sounds to some degree surprising idea. What do you think about net
> addiction, might it be a real problem for somebody? The note was
> published on the youth page (nuorisosivu) - it seems to be assumed as a
> problem of kids.

I am an addict.

Someone told me that it's the first step to get better, to admit it. :)
I'm addicted to many things, like net and dance and good food and smiling.
That makes me quite happy.

Kids are starting to be addicted to different things than the adults
(Internet instead of TV, that is) so some are afraid. Some others realize
what's going on and live in peace.

One even went to ask the children more about what's really happening and
write a book about it. Yes, I mean once again Tapscott's
www.growingupdigital.com which I received yesterday and promised to
promote :)

He told me he's hoping it to be influential. At first i was a bit shocked:
why? Is this a power game or what? Now I think I understand better -
people really need that knowledge.

> 1) Possible addiction to net may be a point of view related thing: for
> instance parents may think their kids are addicted, even if the kids
> feel OK.

Exactly.

Your other points seemed good too.

Some friends had a nice discussion about this on IRC as I was writing
this. I'll put some this (in Finnish only, sorry) as I'm too tired to
write myself:

---cut---

<pepper:&netppls2> antont, hihittelin kylla tolle hesarin jutulle
maanantaina
<WeirdGuy:&netppls2> mika hesarin juttu?
<pepper:&netppls2> aika monipiippuinen ja mielenkiintoinen asia tuo
nettiaddiktismi
<pepper:&netppls2> wg, ei se ollut juttu edes vaan a-klinikkasaatio
odottaa nuorten feedbackia ja niiden ajatuksia netti-addiktismista
<pepper:&netppls2> kehittavat hoitoa meille :)
<WeirdGuy:&netppls2> jes
<WeirdGuy:&netppls2> lopultakin
<WeirdGuy:&netppls2> =)
<pepper:&netppls2> pannaans koko NP a-klinikkas��ti�lle oikein karmivia
stooreja :)
<WeirdGuy:&netppls2> no kylla meilta varmasti niita loytyy =)
>&netppls2> jep :)
<pepper:&netppls2> mut en m� ainakaan koe omia addiktioita mitenk��n
h�iritseviksi, ja tuskin muutkaan
<WeirdGuy:&netppls2> no kylla jossain maarin
<pepper:&netppls2> vaikka joskus kyll� tietoisesti rajotan non-real-lifea,
ett� tulee oltua sen real lifenkin puolella
<WeirdGuy:&netppls2> nimenomaan
>&netppls2> kooitan just replyta tuohon mailiin, vasyttaa vaan liikaa
>&netppls2> replytkaa te?
<WeirdGuy:&netppls2> mutta vahan turhan paljon tuota non-real lifea kertyy
kuitenkin