Re: irc

Toni Alatalo ([email protected])
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:05:50 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Laura Breeden wrote:

> teenagers being preyed upon by older people, or fooled into becoming
> friendly with them, etc. i don't know how common this really is but it
> gets INCREDIBLE amounts of publicity when it happens. maybe europeans are
> more sane about this.

I know, I've been following the discussion. Another one is the whole net
censorship in general. As I was working for House of Knowledge to develope
Internet services for the public library sector we had to face this issue
constantly. Many news from America about installing filters and such were
a bit scared since we didn't want the same happen in Finland.

Finally there was very little talk about it there. It would've been quite
ridiculous to filter, for example, pictures of naked women out of users
screens when our shelves were full of erotic comics and art books with
much more daring pictures.. :)

I do think we are more calm about this. Hopefully we're also right. Anyhow
we must be careful.

Privacy and security are serious concerns but I'm afraid we young and
enthusiastic quite often neglect them when trying out everything fun. Back
in '93/'94 I had lot more personal, even intimate information on my first
homepage and some american friends who saw them then were quite shocked.

> >trouble keeping the irc networks together. ircnet europe and america were
> >separated for about a year and are only loosely connected at the moment. i
> thanks for the explanation... is it for technical reasons (like,
> intercontinental irc takes too much bandwidth/resources) or policy reasons
> (like, we want to control this)?

I guess both. The guys told that the operators were in some kind of fight
but as the net grows irc generates quite a lot of traffic too and like you
know it is not very appreciated as a service.

I'm here fifteen minutes still, got any comments about the pages for
today..?

~Toni